Coleslaw, Taco Style #1
Cole Slaw, Taco Style #1
- Mandolin or Food Processor
- A non-metal mixing bowl
- 2 Quart Containers (or other cylinder shaped NOT METAL containers)
- 8 oz Cabbage, Purple
- 8 oz Cabbage, White
- 1 ea Carrot, large
- 1 ea Cucumber, medium
- 1 stalk Lemongrass
- 1 ea Zest & Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3-4 ea Jalapenos, pickled
- 1 tsp Celery Salt
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp course cracked black pepper
- 4 Tbsp Sugar
- 1/4 cup Mirin, sweet rice wine DO NOT underestimate how crappy and how weirdly delicious this ingredient is depending on the company that makes it. I love "Kikkoman Aji-Mirin Sweet Rice Cooking Seasoning". But whatever you get, don't use it if you
- Zest and juice lemon,
- Whisk mirin, lemon, lemon zest, table salt, celery salt, sugar & apple cider vinegar together until sugar and table salt are completely and totally dissolved (it will happen, just keep whisking).
- Shred cabbage using either food processor or mandolin.
- Shred carrot
- Finely dice jalapenos
- Shred Cucumber (this is where a mandolin becomes preferred in my opinion)
- Finely chop the lemongrass
- Mix together all the produce in bowl until fully mixed.
- Add liquid mixture and continue to mix thoroughly.
- Separate evenly into storage containers. Wrap with plastic wrap making sure to press the plastic down on the coleslaw to ensure fully submerged.
- Reserve under refrigeration for at least 1 day.